Welcome! I'm Angela. This is my little corner of the web where I write about my adventures as a boy mom. I love my husband and my kids and coffee and all things chocolate. I'm a horrible cook but I love reading recipes. I am currently teaching my five year old how to read and the importance of hygiene. My other boy is currently teething, so I may sound a little sleep deprived at times. We're a homeschooling, slightly crunchy bunch. We're a little cooky but we sure do love being a family. We can be found down by the river every weekend.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

We're homeschooling. There, I said it.

My little four year old is starting preschool. Which may sound completely normal, except for one tiny detail: I'm his teacher.


Granted, homeschooling is a lot less controversial than it used to be. It's gaining in popularity as parents are becoming less impressed with the public school system. I am one such parent.

I love teaching my son. At four, he is reading, writing, spelling, and has a general love for knowledge. He has multiple best friends, loves going to Sunday school and loves his co-op classes.
We go to the zoo about three times a month, and every trip to the grocery store is another chance to teach him about math, nutrition, and the importance of anti-bacterial cart wipes. He knows about weather and the intricate details of a car engine (thanks to his daddy) and that too much sugar can lead to cavities. He's a genius, in my totally biased opinion.

My husband and I are in agreement that we will take this year by year, but for now, this is what works for us and we're happy with our choices.
I've gotten a lot of flack for this particular choice, but as I have said since the day I became a parent, what works for us may not work for you, and that's okay. There's room for diversity.


I used to worry a lot about what people would think about our decision to homeschool. I thought if I didn't do everything the way everyone else did, I'd look like a sub-par parent. But gone are those days. I am finally comfortable with my choices, and I am gaining confidence that I actually DO know what's best for my kids. If you don't like homeschooling, then don't homeschool. But we have joy about this and we are grateful for this wonderful season of life.




No comments:

Post a Comment