Welcome! I'm Angela. This is my little corner of the web where I write about my adventures as a boy mom. I love my husband and my kids and coffee and all things chocolate. I'm a horrible cook but I love reading recipes. I am currently teaching my five year old how to read and the importance of hygiene. My other boy is currently teething, so I may sound a little sleep deprived at times. We're a homeschooling, slightly crunchy bunch. We're a little cooky but we sure do love being a family. We can be found down by the river every weekend.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Simplifying

Ever since life changed forever back in October, I've been feeling the urge to simplify. To purge my possessions and keep only what is necessary or beautiful to my family.

Back when everything changed, I knew I couldn't make my sadness go away or turn back time and heal my dad, but the one thing I could do is make my home a place of peace. I started reading blogs on minimalism. Blogs that claim that letting go of things that require upkeep and space will help us feel more in control. I decided to give it a try.

Since then, I've made countless trips to Goodwill. I've sold some bigger items. And there is a lot more space. Without mindless shopping trips, there is more money for better food. For family experiences. For memories to be made.

I don't miss the stuff. Not at all.

It's easier to get dressed, because I have five shirts to choose from, not twenty five.
And five is still a lot.

We got rid of cable. Which is another form of simplifying. Less noise, no more advertisements telling my kids they need the latest toy. Now they are realizing they have everything they could ever really want already.

I simplified parties. I used to use my kid's birthdays as a way to invite everyone I know over. It was really overwhelming (and costly). Since October, I can't do crowds. Now, birthday parties consist of two friends from church, maybe a grandparent. You might not even call them parties. But my kids are happier and life seems easier this way.

Since October, I've learned that I don't want to waste time trying to impress people or acquire fancier things. I can't please everyone anyway, and life is too short to try. Money is nice, but it's not the end goal. I am happy, I have everything I need, I needn't wish for more.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got it all figured out. It's obvious how much you love all your boys.

    ReplyDelete